Guilt-free Energy BitesNutrition ∙ Tags: Chocolate, Energy Bites, Flaxseed, Healthy Treats ∙ Posted on: March 2, 2017
These Energy Bites are so delicious!! I like to call them “guilt-free” because they’re overall pretty healthy (both because of the portion sizes and the natural ingredients in them). They’re full of healthy omega-3 fats and natural carbs, making them a perfect snack before the gym! If you’re on a strict diet, you can always lower the carb or calorie content by making the bite-sized balls smaller. I actually got the recipe from Trader Joe’s but tweaked it a bit and found little tricks here and there from making them so many times. Anyways, here’s the super easy recipe for these Energy Bites to satisfy a sweet tooth and avoid going for the ice cream or the cookies at home. 😉
- 1 cup Old-Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 cup Crunch Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Flaxseed Meal
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
Simply put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Form bite-sized balls with the mixture and lay them on a tray. Lastly, put them in a freezer.
- It’s best to get natural maple syrup to avoid additives. I always use a Grade A (Medium or Dark) Amber Maple Syrup, which has a sweet and pronounced maple flavor. Traditional pancake syrup does not pair well in this recipe (IMO).
- Try adding an extra tablespoon of maple syrup or even a little more peanut butter to the mixture if the bite-sized balls are not sticking well enough. (It only gets tough towards the end but I just use a spoon.)
- I definitely recommend using chunky peanut butter. It adds more texture/crunchiness! The Laura Schudders is literally perfect for this recipe, because it balances out the sweetness of the recipe (from the maple syrup and chocolate chips).
- I included vanilla extract in the picture because the Trader Joe’s recipe includes it, but I personally like it without it!
- Leave the Energy Bites in the freezer and grab them off from there. These definitely taste wayyy better cold/frozen!